Whichever barbeque chicken recipe you follow, the best part of the bird to use is the thighs – wings or breasts are fine, but the darker, slightly fattier leg meat has a more natural flavor.
This recipe only makes enough for 4 people so just double or even triple the ingredients as you wish.
Barbeque Chicken Ingredients
Any BBQ rub
1-2 tbsp olive oil
8 chicken thighs
BBQ Sauce – Either of these will do.
Grilling Your Chicken
- Make a paste by mixing olive oil into the BBQ rub until it becomes a soft paste, though not runny.
- Smother the chicken thighs in the paste and really massage it over the whole surface and into every nook and cranny. Put the chicken pieces into a bowl, cover it and put it in the ‘fridge for up to 24 hours.
- In the meantime make one of the BBQ sauces mentioned above – even this can be made in advance.
- Light up your barbecue grill and get it up to temperature, whether you use gas or charcoal.
- When the grill is ready, get the chicken out and cook it for 20 – 30 minutes with the lid down, turning it regularly.A hinged grill basket is good for this, it will hold all the chicken pieces and then you can turn them all over at once. Something like these. The longer and slower you can go with it the more tender the barbecue chicken will be – 40 minutes is even better. But don’t let it dry out
- Serve it straight away with the BBQ sauce recipe you put together earlier – which should be warm, obviously.