A perfect tailgate party takes several days of preparation and the right equipment. After years of tailgating, I’ve come up with a list of Tailgate Tips that I think you’ll appreciate.
- Come Prepared. Plan your tailgate party menu a few days before the big game and do your prep work the night before, such as chopping vegetables or marinating meat. Making a tailgating gear and food checklist might be helpful as well.
- Bring plenty of plastic silverware, cups, plates, and napkins. Remember to bring plastic garbage bags for cleanup of your tailgate food, first aid kit, water, wet wipes, and condiments.
- Two large coolers are suggested – one for beverages and ready to eat foods, and the second for raw foods for the tailgating grill.
- Expecting cold, wet weather? Don’t forget rain gear and a tarp to keep the rain out, and blankets and hats for cold weather.
- Stadium cushions, small card tables, portable chairs, coolers, and other tailgating gear should be loaded up the night before.
Instead of ice, try freezing water in a plastic milk jug and putting it in your cooler to keep everything cold. This way, your cooler won’t fill up with water from melted ice and you will have water to drink during your tailgate party.
- Arrive four hours early for the game to avoid traffic and find a good spot to tailgate. To avoid traffic after the game, stick around for an hour later. Eat some more food, hang out with your buddies, and tip back a few cold ones.
Get to know your fellow tailgaters by swapping tailgate recipes and sharing tailgate food. show your team spirit by dressing in your team’s colors, waving team pendants and flags, and decorating your vehicle and tailgate site. Bring along the football or baseball and gloves – enjoy yourself!
- Serve food about 1 ½ to 2 hours before kick-off. This will give you enough time to eat, pack up your gear, and find your seats.
- When it comes to packing up for the big game, all I ever remember to bring is the beer and tailgate food and one year I even forgot my tickets! If you think I’m missing any important items, be sure to let me know!